Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hazel's All Gussied Up!

I am SO pleased!! Miz Hazel the Machine has been all gussied up and I'm pleased as punch with the way she and her "skirt" look! It's been a LOT of work taking most of my free time for an entire week, and some of William's free time as well! My poor spousal unit never wanted to get involved with my machines, and yet he always comes through for me! While I still have some cleaning to do on the machine herself, the base is finished, and while it's NOT perfect, I'm still pretty proud of the job we did, considering our lack of experience, tools, and proper workspace. Before I show you how she looks now....here are some pics of the process.... This was the metal that is around the drawer frame...I thought it was brass at first.
And the same metal after some scrubbing....
Check out these rags....this isn't all of them....


She's so pretty now!


Of course...this means that I have to go camping, fishing, and keep my mouth shut about his hunting trips...somehow, I don't think I'll have a problem with that!!! :)

6 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Thank you for answering my questions over on the quilting board - and I'm adding your blog to my Google Reader! The transformation of your sewing machine and table is AMAZING! WOW! Who could have known when you first brought it home the beauty it would become! What a treasure, WOW. I have about a half dozen antique machines and never thought I could restore them myself, now I'm feeling more confident and motivated to try! Thank you so much for your help and for sharing. :)

Charlee said...

Oh Valerie, you can do it!! :) I am really NOT much of a woodworker, and yet I'm so pleased with how this machine and cabinet turned out!

Leah's Crafty Life said...

Good night!!! I just peeked below at the before photos.. the transformation is unreal!!! What a real treasure you've unearthed there brilliant one. Just gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely amazing...Wow!!!

Unknown said...

In my expert opinion, and i use that term loosely. That machine is not what people put it out to be. If a two year old baby can take it apart piece by piece, sitting on the pedal mechanism, which is what actually powers the sewing machine, than I believe that it is not that good as it is descrived. I mean yeah, it uses a re-loadable cartridge for the (i dont know how to say it in english) hilo(spanish). And the pedal mechanism is very practical to use since you can stop as quickly as you can stop pedaling, and retract the sewing motion by just by rewinding the wheel located on the right of the singer sewing machine.I'm just trying to say,"what's all the big fuzz when it is simply a sewing machine. The true artist, in relevance to sewing is that one who can sew just like the machine, at a lower pace off course, and recreate the technique that the machine used. Recreating every variety of stich, that this amazing machine could provide. And at the same time even more. Machines will NEVER equal the creativity, Imagination, and competitiveness of US, THE HUMAN BRAIN>machines.
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS.

Unknown said...

If there is a machine u should be looking for, it should be the DECODER. The theory of everything. SIMPLE. Don't look any further, it stares you in the face every day.
We always try to teach newborns to do everything the right way. From going to school every day to not speaking when you are not spoken to. I always try to make them see the world Up-side Down first. That way they know what is on the other side. Don't follow the same path as everyone else in the past. When every one goes right, I've always gone left, just to see what they are running away from.

Sorry, i got carried away there just a little. Singer.... I don't Know what the big fuzz is about? let me know.