Well Friends...it's as done as it's going to get for now! I love this machine! It's quiet, smooth sewing, easy treadling! Or at least it was until I broke the belt three times...now it's too short, and I don't have a leather bootlace to sub for it right now!
Anyway...What I did:
1. I cleaned and oiled the machine, and got every part of it working right. (With a bit of help from the spousal unit!)
2. I touched up the paint on the machine where it was scuffed and chipped. I considered trying to do gold leaf over the decals for the work "Köhler", but can't bring myself to try it.
3. I waxed the machine and polished it. It doesn't fall into the "fix the shellac" catagory, because the clear coat on the machine is NOT shellac! I'll have to figure out something else....or just live with it, which is most likely what I'll do. :)
4. The cabinet got worked over. It was taken apart, cleaned, stripped, sanded, stained, and shellac was applied....many coats of shellac... I had to re-glue a strip of wood to the base of the cabinet that the lid attached to...some goon had opened it and let the lid fall, breaking that strip of wood loose. Also had to re-glue the front legs...they were separating.
The machine is very similar to my Singer 115, or to a Singer 15. Some differences of course, but it takes a 15x1 needle, a class 15 bobbin. The faceplate and the slide plate are identical to the 115, the bobbin winder is pretty close too. All in all....no great feats of German engineering on this one, not like the little Vestas or my friend Muv's wonderful machines, (which I would LOVE to get my hands on!!) but still a nice one, and it will still get used often and loved lots!